In a special treat this week, to help with the launch of his new CD “RISE”, we have a second set of 20 questions. I’m delighted to introduce singer, writer, director and welsh wonder … John Owen-Jones
Lets start with a few favourites
1. Favourite show (whether you have been in it or not)?
INTO THE WOODS
2. Favourite book?
THE DICE MAN OR JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORREL
3. Favourite theatre?
WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE IN CARDIFF
4. Favourite song?
PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING BY IRON MAIDEN OR THE DARKNESS
5. Favourite music?
6. Favourite food?
JAPANESE AND THAI
7. Favourite line from any show?
I LOVE SONDHEIM‘S LYRICS. “ANYTHING YOU DO, LET IT COME FROM YOU. THEN IT WILL BE NEW“ – SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
8. What was your favourite role?
I DON’T REALLY HAVE ONE BUT IF I HAD TO CHOOSE IT WOULD BE VALJEAN
9. What role would you really love to play?
NOT SURE – I DON’T THINK IT’S BEEN WRITTEN YET!
10. What was your first role?
A KING IN THE SCHOOL NATIVITY (I BROUGHT GOLD)
11. If you could be anyone else for the day, who would it be?
I’M HAPPY BEING ME BUT WOULDN’T MIND BEING ONE OF THE CREW ON THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF!
12. If you weren’t a brilliant singer what would you be?
THAT’S VERY KIND OF YOU TO SAY THAT. I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE WORKED IN THE FOOD INDUSTRY
13. What advice would you give 16 year old John?
GET TO THE GYM!
14. What was the last stage show you saw and really enjoyed?
15. I’ve been lucky enough to see you live a few times and I’ve seen the excitement at Stage Door. What are the nicest/weirdest things you’ve ever received from fans?
ANTIQUE PERSIAN RUGS, POSH CHOCOLATES, DESIGNER CLOTHES, FINE WINE. NEVER REALLY HAD ANYTHING WEIRD. MY FANS SEEM TO HAVE EXCELLENT TASTE!
16. You’ve acted on tv a few times, would you like to do a straight play on stage rather than a musical?
I ALREADY HAVE BUT WOULD LIKE TO DO SO AGAIN SOMEDAY
17. Have you considered doing a full performance of Phantom or Les Mis in Welsh?
NOT REALLY. MY WELSH ISN’T STRONG ENOUGH
18. Madonna once said she gets bored singing “Like a Virgin” but knows she owes the song for her career. So she always changes it to a different type of performance. Do you ever want to change “Bring Him Home” or “Music of the Night” to a reggae version or maybe rap? Or maybe a beatbox version?
NO. I THINK THEY ARE FINE AS THEY ARE!
19. Do you fancy moving into directing or producing? Or maybe writing your own musical?
YES. DONE A LITTLE BIT OF THOSE THREE THINGS AND REALLY ENJOYED IT SO WOULD LIKE TO TRY THEM AGAIN
20. Can you tell us what you will be up to next?
I SHALL BE PLAYING PIRELLI IN SWEENEY TODD AT THE ENO WITH BRYN TERFEL AND EMMA THOMPSON AND THEN I’LL BE TRAVELLING TO JAPAN TO PERFORM WITH COLLABRO
John’s CD “RISE” is available from Monday March 2nd and would make an ideal present for Mother’s Day